As a whole, you may be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) associated with the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you
- Have now been a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the least three years
- Have now been surviving in marital union aided by the exact same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this part
In a few situations, spouses of U.S. residents employed abroad may be eligible for naturalization irrespective of their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under section b that is 319( regarding the INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our Members of the Military and their own families page. Additionally for details about becoming a permanent resident or petitioning for members of the family, please go to our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) asian brides of this INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the very least three years instantly preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have already been located in marital union with all the U.S. resident spouse, that has been a U.S. citizen during each of such duration, through the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment from the application
- Have lived inside the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction on the applicant’s spot of residence, for at least a few months ahead of the date of filing the program
- Have constant residence in the usa as a lawful permanent resident for at minimum three years instantly preceding the date of filing the application form
- Live constantly in the united states of america from the date of application for naturalization through to the right period of naturalization
- Be physically contained in the usa for at the least eighteen months out from the three years instantly preceding the date of filing the program
- Have the ability to read, write, and talk English and possess knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. history and government (also called civics)
- Be an individual of good character that is moral connected to the concepts associated with the Constitution for the usa, and well disposed towards the good purchase and joy for the usa during all relevant periods beneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of the U.S. citizen who’s used by the U.S. government, such as the armed forces, or other qualifying boss, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad this kind of work for at the very least one year during the time of filing, could be qualified to receive naturalization under section b that is 319( associated with INA.
Generally speaking, a partner of a U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to a legal admission for permanent residence during the time of assessment in the naturalization application as well as enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the demands in the above list except that:
- No certain duration being a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is necessary (however the partner should be a resident that is permanent
- No certain amount of continuous residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No certain amount of marital union is needed; but, the partners should be in a marriage that is valid the full time of filing before the time of naturalization.
Note: you have to also establish which you will leave abroad just after naturalization and that you would like to have a home in the usa straight away upon the termination of the spouse’s work abroad.